Click an instructor below for personal bios, methods, rates, and more!
Senior Staff Instructor • (304) 279-5769 • Email
- Director of Golf, The Woods Resort
- Director of Instruction, I-70 Golf Range
- Director of Instruction, Evergreen Country Club
- Assistant Golf Professional, Loudoun Golf and Country Club
- Assistant Golf Professional, Shenandoah Valley Golf Club
- 1st place, 1997 Apple Blossom Pro-AM, 69
- 1st place, 2002 APA Central Championship, 69
- T15th, 2002 MAPGA Assistant’s Championship, 145 (36 holes)
- T12, 2008 Monterey Bay Invitational, +7 (54 holes)
- Played golf collegiately at Shepherd College
- 6 former students have won their respective club championships
- Since 2007, 5 students have qualified for the West Virginia High School State tournament
- 5 students have gone on to play golf collegiately
Influences: Mark Guttenberg, Roger Hatcher, Dr. Greg Rose, Nick Faldo, Dave Leadbetter, Dave Pelz
Philosophy: “For a student to improve his or her full swing the student first must have any physical limitations identified. Once these areas have been identified we can move to creating a program for working on the swing. The short game is the easiest way to lowering ones score. Students need to understand how to control spin, thus allowing them the freedom and creativity needed to have a great short game.”
- 2006-2010 PGA President’s Council on Growing the Game
Senior Staff Instructor • (703) 341-9956 • Email
Philosophy: "Simplicity of Motion" I believe my students see the most improvements when I train them to use the body to swing the club in an athletic motion. This is the most repeatable form. Science and technology can measure how the body is designed to perform the golf swing efficiently. Using my knowledge of the golf swing, cutting edge technology and a trained eye, I effectively communicate this to help my students reach their goals.
Golf Influences: Books: Jack Nicklaus, Golf My Way; Nick Bradley, The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing; Nick Faldo, A Swing for Life; Tiger Woods, How I Swing the Golf Club
People: Pat McGuire, PGA, Owner/Director of Instruction - Raspberry Golf Academy, Robert Evans, PGA Golf Instructor, Tour Rep. Bobby Grace Putters, Master Club Tech. Max Claiborne, Master Club Technician Brian Hollingsworth, brother (started me playing the game)
Skills/Training and Certifications:
- Zelocity Launch Monitor Fitting System
- Swing View Pro Video Software
- Taylor Made Matt Launch Monitor Fitting Systems
- Ping N-Flight Fitting Software
- 3-D Motion Capture and Analysis Software
- Certified Club Fitter for Titleist/Cobra, Ping, Taylor Made, Mizuno
- Titleist Staff Member 2009
- Trained in Bio-Mechanics (Physical Body in Motion)
- Trained in Kinematic Link of Golf Swing (Sequence of Motion)
- Trained in Body Screening (Mobility, Flexibility and Stability)
Staff Instructor • (571) 641-9687 • Email
David MacKenzie has been coaching golfers of all ages and levels from beginner to Tour pro for more than 15 years.
Originally from England, David attended the University of St. Andrews in Scotland where he competed on the golf team. Since then, David has dedicated himself to developing a holistic approach to golf coaching which includes the physical, technical, mental and emotional aspects of the game.
His philosophy on the golf swing is simple yet effective. His students learn how to build confidence in their game through:
- Simple swing thoughts
- A solid pre-shot routine
- Visualization and feel
- Mental and Emotional control
- Course strategy
- Effective practice
In addition to teaching at Virginia Golf Center, David runs his golf coaching website, Golf State of Mind (www.golfstateofmind.com). He has also written several books about how to implement his unique approach to the game.
- One hour = $125
- 30 mins = $70
- 5 x 30 min = $275
- 5 x 45 min = $395
- 5 x 1 hour = $500
- Junior 30 min = $50
- Junior 5 x 30 min = $225
- 2 junior students 5 x 30 min = $308
Senior Staff Instructor • 703-624-8389 • Email
PGA Member since 2003.
Meet the Pro: Fernando Martinez has been a top instructor in the Northern Virginia area since 1997. His work as an instructor began with certification at the Nicklaus Academy. He worked two years with the Nicklaus Academy before transferring to Mid-Atlantic Golf in Alexandria. His most recent post was Director of Instruction at Top Golf.
In the past seventeen years Fernando has given literally thousands of golf lessons. He has taught several club champions, a number of Juniors that went on to get golf scholarships and numerous students that went from high 90's to low 70's in an extremely short time frame.
Fernando started playing golf at age 31 and turned PRO in seven years. He has developed extensive knowledge of the golf swing, club fitting and Biomechanics. He is Golf Fitness Certified and fully understands physical limitations in golf. The key factor that has helped Fernando achieve at a high level has been his study of Biomechanics and how to simplify the golf swing by removing all excess moving parts.
• Number one instructor at Mid-Atlantic Golf and Top Golf in Alexandria.
• Selected from hundreds of applicants to head Nicklaus Academy as Lead Instructor/Director of Instruction for the Presidential Golf Club.
• Fernando is married and is the father of two beautiful girls.
Every golfer should understand their swing, their physical abilities and improve by applying a repeatable movement. The golf swing is really one movement, extremely similar to throwing a ball, hitting a baseball and utilizing bigger muscle parts to control the movement of the golf club. It begins with the proper set up, then understanding a clear intent in pre-swing thoughts and limiting in-swing thoughts. When golfers clear their minds from a hit mentality to a pendulum swing of the golf club magical things happen. It is not necessary to change people's current swing, but to add the proper use of the body from the ground up.
Influenced by: Butch Harmon, David Leadbetter, Jim McLean, Bob Rotella, countless PGA Teaching Summits, Countless Books, and spending hours with Touring Professionals at Avenel.
"Fernando Martinez was the one of the best instructors to help me become the golfer I am today. When we would work on positions and different elements of the game, we would work on them as one. If something didn’t feel right, we fixed together. The bond I grew with him was one of the best friendships I will ever have. If something wasn’t feeling right, he would always find time to take a look at what was going on. Fernando Martinez is a great teacher of the game of golf, and one of the best feel coaches for the game out there." - Adam Tuttle, Randolph Macon Collegue
“My son and I both took lessons from Fernando. I have one complaint about his work. My son went out afterward and hit a 370 yard drive in the air (wet ground, no roll) which is longer by at least 40 yards than anything I have ever hit in my life. He is now hooked on golf and I may never be able to beat him again. I plan to come and take more lessons to make up some ground from the best instructor, bar none, that I have ever had in golf instruction.” - Richard
“My husband gave me a series of five golf lessons with Fernando for my birthday. What a terrific present! I am hitting the ball longer, straighter and feel more confident. My game has noticeably improved.” - Lois D. Alexandria, VA
“Fernando helps me to understand the mechanics of golf swing and to relax. As a result, I am hitting the balls consistently longer and straighter.” - KP, Springfield, VA
“For two years I watched Fernando work with young and old, male and female, beginners and accomplished golfers. I then decided to take my first lesson and after only my first lesson wished I had not wasted those two years! Although I have moved from Virginia I still rely on his advice and when back in the area try to catch up with him.” - Tom C., Tennessee
“My first choice for golf instruction is Fernando Martinez. Whether a beginner or an experienced player looking to address specific club and swing issues, Fernando is the professional to call.” - Gary M. Alexandria, VA
“After a 40- year layoff, I needed to get the basics right this time. Fernando has been the perfect tutor to identify old bad habits and reset my mechanics and techniques. I am well along the way to a satisfying golfing experience.” - Bill C., Alexandria, VA
“I was very hesitant in taking golf lessons but I’m glad I did. Even though I only spent a few hours under his instruction- I know that I am a better golfer after learning from Fernando. Fernando is a true professional who understands the game. I would recommend him to family and friends for golf lessons. I look forward to seeing him on the golf course.” - Jose Garza, Alexandria, VA
“Fernando did an amazing job working with my teenage daughter and I. He clearly knows the intricacies of golf which is very helpful. But his greatest skill is his ability to enable his students, at all levels, to perform well on the course and appreciate the mechanics of the sport.” - Kate and Mike Z., Alexandria, VA
“Until I took lessons from Fernando, I was hopelessly trying to play golf without any success. Fernando started with the fundamentals and taught me how to develop my swing. As a professional, he knows the game which he masterfully applies to his instruction. Taking lessons from Fernando enabled me to improve my game, raise my confidence, and lower my handicap. I now have a chance to finish in 80s (as opposed to over 120s a few months ago!). I strongly recommend Fernando to anyone, regardless of skill level.”
Senior Staff Instructor • (410) 967-2568 • Email
Philosophy: The reason all golfers need instructors is because the game is so difficult and the golf swing is so complex. As a teacher it is my job to decipher the complexities of your golf game and relay it to you in a way you will be able to understand and apply. To become a great golfer you need to excel in all parts of the game. I enjoy the challenge of working with you on your weaknesses to make you a better overall player. Playing beyond what you thought you were capable of is fun. You know what else if fun? Seeing yourself get better. That's what I love the most about teaching. I believe all golfers have the potential to get better. I believe together we can fulfill that potential.
- Started playing golf at age 12
- Become one of Maryland's top junior golfers
- '97 Earned a Scholarship to Towson University to play golf
- '98 Transferred to University of Houston on a golf scholarship
- '01 Went to McNally School of Music to study Guitar and Vocal Performance
- '03 Moved to New York City as a Professional Musician with the band The Deep End
- '08 Returned to golf and took a job as Assistant Professional at Piney Branch Golf Club
- 1997 - Shot a course record 28 in high school match
- 1997/98 - Towson University Athlete of the Year
- 1998 - U.S. Amateur contestant at Oak Hill C.C.
- 1998-00 - Played golf for the University of Houston
- 2009 - Won the Northern Chapter Pro Assistant
- 2010 - Won the APA Match Play Championship
- 2010 - Low Professional at the Salisbury Open
- 2010 - APA Player of the Year Runner Up
- 2010 - 14 Top Ten Professional Finishes
- Course Records: 2
- Holes in One: 3
- Low Tournament Round: 64 - Cattail Creek
- 96% of students lowered their handicaps in 2010
- 25+ students lowered their handicaps by 3+ strokes in 2010
- 1 USGA Mid Amateur contestant
- 3 Maryland Amateur Titles
- 1 Student passed the PGA Playing Ability Test and turned Pro
- 1 State high school title
"I've used several different pros and teachers over the years and, without any serious doubt, I've made the most improvement in my swing and in my game with Jaime. Not only are my improved fundamentals easily apparent to me and all of my regular playing partners, but I have much better understanding of my swing and what causes the results I see, both good and bad. I began seeing Jaime regularly towards the beginning of this past season and will continue to as long as I can. It's been a great experience." -- L. Perez
"As a new member at Piney Branch, and relatively new layer to the game of golf, I ended the 2009 golf season with a 20-handicap. I decided to invest some time to improving mygame and a first step in that journey was to get some golfing lessons. Jaime evaluted my swing and began an instructional program starting at the very basic level. Over the course of the winter Jaime coached me on everything from grip - to footwork - to the right mental confidence, and we awaited the spring golfing season to see how things would go. By the end of 2010 season we had lowered my handicap by 13. Jaime is a patient teacher, and with me it took a lot of patience, and will only introduce new fundamentals when he is confident that there has been sufficient development and it is time to move forward. I have challenged Jaime again this year to help me on my road to improving an we hae started lessons just this pas weekend. Thanks Jaime! -- B. Biemiller
"Jaime is an outstanding teacher. He fine tuned my game by suggesting several adjustments through his video lessons and watchful eye on the range. His playing lessons were extremely helpful as he brought all of his lessons together and blended in the mental aspect of the game. Over the season, my handicap went from a 13 down to a 9. Now, he is teaching wiht my 16 year old daughter and in a very short amount of time, she has made great progress" -- L. Maranto
"A true professional instructor, Jaime uses his calm demeanor and listening skills coupled with his knowledge of the golf mechanics and swing to make the learning experience easy to understand and follow. His use of training aids to reinforce the suggested changes in the gold swing are a plus." - B. Hoffman
Senior Staff Instructor • (703) 729-4071 • Email
My Philosophy reflects the study I’ve made of the golf swing. It seeks to marry the maximum efficiency of a golf swing and the physical well-being and longevity of the golfer. Due to my keen interest in helping golfers cultivate a repeating motion, I discovered an interdisciplinary progression, from pure potentiality in the beginning of the process, to mastery at the end. As a result, I now believe the more specific the golfer’s intention with their golf ball, the more potential there is for improvement.
My job is to show my students, from the youngest to the most experienced, what is possible within this documented and measured progression. Most recreational golfers do not realize how athletic they are. I do. My philosophy is the Open Stance set-up, and it is has been employed by the greatest ball-strikers of all time. I will teach you to trust your instincts using this philosophy.
[Founded to expand the discussion on playing golf, to teach the golf swing and how to play expertly]
• PGA Professional for twelve years.
• Two-Time All-American at DePauw University
• 2003-2006 PGA Head Professional - Frankfort Country Club; Frankfort, IN
• 2006-2014 Assistant Professional and Teacher – Ballen Isles Country Club; Palm Beach Gardens, FL
• Author of "The Geometric Formula" - Series of instructional books and The Open Stance: Save Your Game.
• Lowest Score – 62
• Lowest Competitive Round – 65
• The only teacher in the world who knows and offers the secrets of the open stance.
• Master of Landscape Architecture 1996, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
• Bachelor of Communication 1992, DePauw University, Greencastle, IN
• PGA of America Class A Professional
AUGUST 2, 2017
“I can’t believe it. I’m currently a 12 handicap who was struggling a bit off the tee and so decided to try your open stance technique with only my driver while playing in a 4 man scramble (what did I have to lose?). I found myself driving the ball pretty well. So the next day when I got invited to go play 9 holes with a friend at one of the top courses in our area – I decided I’d try the open stance technique for every shot and with every club. I shot a 37!! 3 birdies. 2 other makeable birdies just missed. If not for two 3 putt greens – I would’ve broken par. I struck the ball like I’ve never struck it before. Is this real? Pinch me. Can’t wait to see if this holds up. If it does – I’ll be singing the praises of this technique!!” – Eric Bessette, NY
"Going out for a few holes, I looked in awe at some healthy, dollar bill shaped divots in front of where the ball laid. With the positive results I have seen this past week, I believe I am on the right track and am excited to continue in earnest putting to practice what you have taught me. I’ve consulted your website and enjoy the articles and video clips you have posted. If I could get my form to look like your 7 iron video, now that would be exciting. I could look at that a thousand times. What separation on the downswing! I know I’ll have a lot more questions for you and look forward to discussing some things with you.
Thanks again and all the best,” - Ryan Sack
Staff Instructor • (614) 804-8449 • Email
After playing professionally full time for three years, in 2016 I decided to make the transition to coaching. As a student of the Raspberry Golf Academy myself as a player since it opened in 2008, coming on board as an instructor was a smooth transition. I spent one year as an apprentice with the academy before becoming a staff instructor, learning under directors Patrick McGuire, John Miller, and Sang Hwang.
My approach to golf instruction is taking what each person does naturally and making it better. No two people are the same, so no two people should have the same lesson. I want to optimize each person's unique abilities. I also think it is very valuable to teach more than just the full swing, such as short game, putting, course management, and process. I take pride in my ability to especially help golfers with short game and course management.
During my apprenticeship, I was fortunate enough to help Patrick McGuire put together new performance coaching programs for the academy, which was an incredible opportunity for any instructor. Through my training, I have become an expert on quickly identifying what a player needs to work on, and I don't believe anyone needs to struggle after a lesson before getting better. I am eager to share my knowledge and to improve each person that walks in the door, whether a beginner, intermediate, or elite player.
• PGA Apprentice
• TPI Level 1
• Raspberry Golf Academy Certified Performance Coach- Full Swing, Short Game, and Putting
• Four-year starter at George Mason University, was first or second in scoring average every semester in school
• Three years full time on the mini tours, primarily the eGolf Pro Tour in North Carolina and the Gateway Tour in Arizona
• One professional victory
• Reached Second Stage of Web.com Q-School twice in two attempts, played in PGA Canada Q-School
• Played in the 2012 U.S. Amateur at Cherry Hills
• Low tournament round: 63 (-9)
• Low professional tournament round: 64 (-8)
LPGA Instructor/Raspberry Golf Schools at Bull Run Golf Club
(703) 753-7777 • Email
Background: Leslie Guttenberg is Vice President of Guttenberg’s Golf Development Programs in Aldie,Virginia and a member of the LPGA Teaching and Club Professional Division. She is a former Northeast LPGA Teacher of the Year and was named “Top 50 Women Teachers” in the United States by Golf for Women Magazine and has been ranked #2 instructor in the state of Virginia by Golf Digest Magazine for six consecutive years. She has also been rated as one of the top instructors in the country by Golf Magazine.
Leslie has served as a playing editor for Pros N’ Hackers Golf Magazine. She was also featured as an instructor and panelist on the Local Golf television show and Comcast’s SportsNet’s Golf Road Show. Leslie has served as a Member Advisor for the LPGA Teaching and Club Professional Division. Her Master’s Degree in Special Education and a background as a consultant in training and development in the corporate world has equipped her with an understanding of training design and the ability to identify the most effective learning style for each student.
- “Class A” Member, Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA), Teaching and Club Professional Membership
- Vice President, Guttenberg’s Golf Development Programs
- Member of Taylor Made Golf staff for 25years
- LPGA Coordinator and Advisor for the LPGA mentoring program
- Trained several students who are now LPGA Teaching Professionals
- LPGA Girls Golf Club Director
- Instructor for the national LPGA Women’s Clinics for 18 years
- Has given over 20,000 lessons to professionals and amateurs
- Ranked Top 50 Women Teachers in the United Statesby Golf For Women Magazine
- Northeast Section LPGA Teacher of the Year 2000
- Ranked #2 Top Teacher in Virginia by Golf Digest Magazine 6 consecutive years
- Ranked in top 500 teachers in United Statesby Golf Magazine
- Tournament Director for 8 years for a Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
Media and Speaker Experience:
- Washington Speaker’s Bureau Speaker
- Guest appearances on Comcast SportsNet Golf Road Show
- Co-host, Tee Time Radio Show,WashingtonBusiness Radio
- Guest co-host on Sports Talk Radio Golf Show, Pros N’ Hackers Golf Magazine
- Guest co-host for TV FCAC cable television show, Local Golf
- LPGA seminar instructor, “Teaching Teachers How to Teach”
- Guest Speaker, Executive Women Golf Association
- Board Member, “Women’s Life” ministry
- Guest Speaker women’s ministry conferences/dinners
- Playing Editor, Pros N’ Hackers Golf Magazine
- Programs featured in National Golf Foundation’s book, Women’s Programs That Work – also used in LPGA membership testing
- “Couple’s Workshops” program featured in National Golf Foundation’s book,
- Welcome Programs That Work
- “Coaching Your Partner” chapter printed in the book, Romantic Antics, by Joy and Kevin Decker
- Article, Sharing the Victory Magazine, “The Heart of a Coach” segment
- BogeysandBirdies.com website, geared to women golfers
- Golf tips, Golf For Women Magazine, Golf Digest Magazine, The Washington Post, Loudoun Times Mirror, Prince William Journal
Education and other Achievements:
- Bachelor and Master’s Degrees in Special Education, Cum Laude, FloridaStateUniversity
- Volleyball Team,IndianaUniversity
- Sports Information Assistant,FloridaStateUniversity
- Marine Corp Marathon runner, 3 hours, 41 minutes
- IT, Software Consultant, managed $1 million annual revenue account
Specific Instruction Rates:
- One Hour Private Lesson: $250
- 1 Hour Private Lesson - 2 Students: $150
- 1 Hour Private Lesson - 3 Students: $200
- 30 Minute Private Lesson: $75
- 9 Hole Playing Lesson: $250
- 9 Hole Playing Lesson - 2 Students: $350
- 9 Hole Playing Lesson - 3 Students: $400
- 18 Hole Playing Lessons: $400
- 18 Hole Playing Lessons - 2 Students: $500
- 18 Hole Playing Lessons - 3 Students: $600
- Carts and green fees included in Playing Lesson Rates
Senior Staff Instructor • (703) 606-6065 • Email
- All golfers are unique in their abilities, experiences, goals and understandings of the golf swing
- A lesson can and should be tailored to each students needs using various teaching models and drills
- By developing a better understanding of the “whys” and “what’s” of the golf swing, the student develops a better sense of the swing feel and the ability to take the improvement from the lesson tee to the golf course.
- The Golf Swing: Understand it….. Improve it…..Enjoy it…!!
Skills and Training:
- Certified club fitter for Cobra, Titleist, PING manufactures.
- Vector launch monitor, Swing View Pro, LPGA National Education Programs I & II
- Club Champion: River Creek CC Leesburg, VA. Belmont CC Ashburn, VA
- Best Golf Round: 70- Belmont CC
- Holes-in –One: 2
- "Lisa is the single best coach with whom I have had the pleasure of working over a lifetime of playing sports and I recommend Lisa to anyone, at any level, looking to improve his/her game. She is dedicated, highly creative in finding ways to help her students use their own athletic abilities to become better golfers and designs drills that work without requiring an overwhelming amount of time on the range. Results speak louder than words so... I was a 14.9 when I took my first lesson in late March, a 10.7 by June 1st and would be a 9.8 if my index was calculated today, six weeks after my last lesson with Lisa in early July..." -- Ralph B.
- "I just wanted to tell you that after my lesson today, I played 9 holes at my course and I did extremely well! I was even hitting my driver over 150 yds." - Hannah , Jr. Golfer
- "I applied some of the lessons from yesterday to the putting green and suddenly I felt like Tiger Woods. I was able to stay true to the new swing keys throughout the round and I have growing confidence that it's going to make a dramatic difference" - Dave A.
- "Lisa, thanks for everything this year. You really helped my game... more than anyone else ever has." - George B.
- "Thank you for all your help with my game. I did win my
- flight of the WGA "Match Play" thi year, and won my flight of the "Club Championship". Yeah, all thanks to you!!" - Karen F.
- "You are a part of our golf family so I want you to hear this from me. this is why I brag about Raspberry Falls and Golf Academy to people. You guys are good and are terrific with the kids. " - Tom F.
PGA Director of Instruction/Raspberry Golf Schools @ Bull Run Golf Club
(703) 327-7288 • Email
Background: Mark Guttenberg is the President of Guttenberg’s Golf Development Programs in Aldie, Virginia, is a member of the PGA of America since 1977 and has been teaching golf as professional since 1974. He competed full‑time on the PGA Tour in 1982 and has won over 100 tournaments in the Middle Atlantic section of the PGA as well as various mini‑tours throughout theUnited States.
A former member of the PGA National Teaching committee, Mark has been a lead instructor at National Golf Schools such as Harder Hall Golf School in Sebring, Florida and Club Med Sandpiper Golf Academy in Port Saint Lucie, Florida. Mark has been a featured writer for several golf publications including Golf Digest Magazine and has been the playing editor for Pros N’ Hackers Golf Magazine for the 11 years. He served as an advisory staff member/guest host for a cable golf television program called Local Golf.
Mark has been ranked by Golf Digest Magazine as the #1 golf instructor in the state of Virginia for 8 years in a row and has been rated as one of the top instructors in the country by Golf Magazine. In 1990 he was voted as the Middle Atlantic PGA Teacher of the Year. Mark’s teaching knowledge coupled with his experience as a former PGA Tour player and top money winner on the Middle Atlantic PGA Tour have combined to create a successful and innovative style of teaching. Along with speaking engagements, trick shot shows and specialized clinics, Mark’s expertise as a golf professional makes him uniquely qualified to offer the complete golf package.
- 2006 U.S. Sr. Open contestant
- 2006 MAPGA Match Play Sr. Champion, Sr. Head Pro Champion
- Member, PGA ofAmerica, 1977 – Present
- Former PGA Tour Player 1982
- President, Guttenberg’s Golf Development Programs, 1992 – Present
- Middle Atlantic PGA Teacher of the Year 1990
- Member of Taylor Made Golf staff, 1988 – Present
- PGA Director of Golf Instruction
- Lead Instructor Club MedInternationalGolfAcademy
- Lead Instructor HarderHallGolfAcademy
- Trick Shot Show Artist, PGA’s “Play Golf America”, corporate outings,
- kids’ golf camps
- Golf Team member and scholarship recipient,FloridaStateUniversity
- National PGA Teaching Committee member
- Middle Atlantic PGA Board of Directors
- Middle Atlantic PGA Tournament Chairman
- Has given over 40,000 lessons to professionals and amateurs
- Eight consecutive years ranked, #1 Top Teacher in the state of Virginia by
- Golf Digest Magazine 2004-2011 (16 consecutive years ranked among "Best in State")
- Ranked top 500 teachers in the United Statesby Golf Magazine, 1996-1999
- Middle Atlantic PGA Teacher of the Year 1990
- Seven time nominee for Teacher of the Year 1989,1990,2006, 2007, 2011,2012,2013
Media and Speaker Experience:
- Co-host, Tee Time radio show, Washington Business Radio
- Guest host, Sports Talk 980, Pros N’ Hackers Golf Magazine radio show (subject: Couples Golf)
- Co-host, cable TV FCAC television show, Local Golf, 1988 – 2000
- Video production of golf tips, produced by PGA
- Guest Speaker/featured instructor Middle Atlantic PGA Teaching and Coaching Summits (2000, 2002,2005, 2007, 2009, 2011)
- Trick shot clinic for MAPGA and “Play Golf America Day”
- Represented MAPGA as guest speaker for Dulles Golf Expo 2009, 2010, 2011
- Playing Editor, Pros N’ Hackers Golf Magazine
- Golf Digest Magazine golf tip
- PGA Magazine golf instructional article
- Over 100 articles in national, regional and local publications including
- Washington Golf Monthly Magazine, Virginia Golfer, The Washington Post,Fauquier Democrat, Loudoun Times Mirror, Gainesville Times
- “Couple’s Workshops” program featured in National Golf Foundation’s book, Welcome Programs That Work
Education and other Achievements:
- Bachelor of Arts degree, Communications, Florida State University
- Minor degrees, Theater and Psychology
Specific Instruction Rates:
- One Hour Private Lesson: $150
- 1 Hour Private Lesson - 2 Students: $200
- 1 Hour Private Lesson - 3 Students: $250
- 30 Minute Private Lesson: $90
- 9 Hole Playing Lesson: $300
- 9 Hole Playing Lesson - 2 Students: $400
- 9 Hole Playing Lesson - 3 Students: $500
- 18 Hole Playing Lessons: $500
- 18 Hole Playing Lessons - 2 Students: $600
- 18 Hole Playing Lessons - 3 Students: $700
- Carts and green fees included in Playing Lesson Rates
Director, Raspberry Golf Academy • (703) 930-7299 • Email
Philosophy: Test, measure, then fix! Put everything through the process and create better ways for people to learn, practice and enjoy the game.
Areas of Expertise: Biomechanics, modern and classic swings, swing theory, kinesiology, 3-dimensional swing mechanics, 2-dimensional video, fitness for golf, flexibility, mobility, stability, swing correction, short game, putting, course management, ball flight, shot shaping, club fitting and the power game.
Biography: Patrick’s entrance to golf began under his college golf coach, the mid-Atlantic education chair Rick Miller. After a two-year apprenticeship under Rick, Patrick began his education, development and career in teaching and retail sales. Patrick was able to work with and under 5 top 100 instructors and for the second largest golf school in the country. Patrick has co-owned a retail business and is the founder of the Raspberry Golf Academy, which currently operates out of seven locations in two states.
Patrick join the Raspberry Golf Management team in the 2008 season with the introduction of the Raspberry Golf Academy, which has become the premier teaching and training brand in the metro Area. RGA is an innovative revenue stream for facilities operated by RGM.
Lesson packages require an initial evaluation. To schedule an evaluation appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• High school players - $750 (Evaluates 3-5 pillars)
• College players - $1000 (Evaluates 5-7 pillars)
• Professional players - $1500 (Evaluates 10 pillars)
• 2 hours - $250
• 6 hours a month - $750 per month
(minimum 3 month commitment)
Custom programs available
Senior Staff Instructor • 571-266-1182 • Email
I first learned to play golf when I was 10 years old, and my first teacher was my father, but then I put my clubs down to ride horses and run track. Fast forward to college when I came home on Spring break, played again with my dad,I fell in love with the sport all over again! For the next 10 years I played off and on when I could, but, I was a cubicle dweller and didn’t have much time to work on my game. As fate would have it, the recession came along in 2007-2008 and I was laid off with so many other people across the country. It turned out to be the best thing to happen to me! I was restless and not happy in the midst of the rat race. The recession gave me the chance to sit down and figure out what I wanted to do and the answer was golf! I moved back home, took a few ‘odd jobs’ and worked on my game 6 days a week for almost 4 years! I combined fitness, strength training, lessons and countless hours of practice and repetition to improve my game. I was terrible for a long time. My dream was to become an LPGA Professional but I needed the game to match. I worked my way down from a handicap that was “off-the-charts-high” to a 2! In 2013 I moved to Northern Virginia, still following my golf dreams. Life is just like golf; there are hazards, bad breaks from good shots, incredible lows and then you sink that long putt or chip in for birdie and you are back in it! I completed all of the requirements to get my LPGA Teaching card in 2016. My journey wasn’t done there though.
Now as a LPGA T&CP I am a scratch golfer. I know what it takes to make the necessary improvements to shave the strokes off of your game. What are your goals? What are your personal victories that you are looking to achieve on the course? I can help you find your personal best. Whether it is hitting the ball for the first time or it is shooting under par, let me help you improve your game, and take the next steps in your golf journey.
As part of The Raspberry Golf Academy Family I will be focused on The Birdie Belief Project, LPGA Girls Golf and Rounds With Robyn. These programs are designed to start, engage and retain women and girls into the game of golf! For more information on these programs please visit www.thebirdiebeliefproject.com or www.roundswithrobyn.com
Director of Student Development • (561) 317-6150 • Email
Originally from the Northern Virginia area, Sang was a First Assistant at Fauquier Springs Country Club in the late 1990s. After getting married at Raspberry Farms in Leesburg, he and his wife Mary moved to South Florida in 1999 where he played in several mini-tour events. Over the last 12 years, he became a father of two and has turned his focus more towards teaching golf and growing the game. As one of the senior instructors at BallenIsles Country Club, a top 100 private club in the country, Sang has been teaching and developing juniors, beginners, accomplished juniors, and touring professionals at BallenIsles Country Club.Along with his playing skills where Sang has earned several top 10 finishes in the South Florida mini tours, he has developed several accomplished juniors who are now ranked in the AJGA. He has sculpted beginner junior golfers into nationally ranked golfers who have received college scholarships. Last year, Sang assisted in helping one of his students become the 2011 Florida High School Golf Champion! He has also recently been awarded the 2011 U.S. Kids Top 50 Teachers Honorable Mention. Sang has worked with touring professionals who made it to third stage Qualifying School for the LPGA. He also worked with Bruce Fleisher, a Senior PGA Tour Player and a 2001 U.S. Senior Open Champion and his grandson Jake. His client base at Ballenisles includes hundreds of repeat and satisfied members and non-members from beginners to advance.
My Emphasis: I like to emphasize a certain principle that’s been very effective for me. Pre-swing preparation is the secret to success. My feeling is you can’t play great golf without one. I believe in learning the swing with the impact position first and achieving balance throughout the swing is the key to success in the golf swing. Integrating mental, physical, technical, and course management principles into my instruction to all students has made me unique and popular with all level of students. Short game improvement is the key to lowering your score.
Quick recognition on what area of the student’s golf swing to work on is another skill I have developed with the 18 plus years of experience I have under my belt. Over the course of studying how the body works biomechanically, physiologically, and kinesthetically, I have been able to create a language within traditional teaching methodology that I believe sets my instruction apart. I am a great believer in the use of technology. Over the last ten years, using the JC Video Swing Analysis System or Swing View Pro, has helped me and the student reinforce and aid the learning process. I recognize that everyone isn’t made the same, and I am always looking to be more creative in getting the message to the student. Creativity is the key in coming up with anything that will grab a student’s attention.
Most importantly, I believe in motivating my students to achieve by being passionate about what I do and letting them know that I care. As an instructor I recognized early on that you should never stop learning. Just like the game of golf, teaching is a never-ending journey. The more you know the better. Never stop asking questions to people who you respect. Breakthroughs with great ideas come from an open mind.
Skills & Expertise: I use the latest technology to make sure you are getting the most out of your equipment and instruction. With my expertise in using the Swing View Pro and JC Video Swing Analysis System, I can concentrate on specific areas of your swing to properly diagnose, analyze, and help meet your golfing goals. In addition, Flight scope Launch Monitor will be used to determine if you are using the clubs that are right for you.
Swing View Pro Video Software, JC Video Swing Analysis System, Flight Scope Launch Monitor, Club Fitter for Ping, Titleist, Callaway, 2012 SFPGA Teaching Seminar.
Principles & Methods:
- My goal to my students is to provide consistency by emphasizing certain principles of golf instruction.
- Consistency in the result of compatible movement
- Pre-swing preparation is the secret to success (90% of in-swing errors are the effect of incorrect pre-swing)
- Repeatable Pre-shot Routine
- The clubface must be square at impact
- The spine and shoulder must be neutral throughout the entire motion; develop a swing motion vs a hitting motion
- Shaft must be forwarded leaned at impact
- Left wrist flat
- Dynamic Impact
- Short game improvement
- Play the game
- Understanding “Self”
- 3 secrets to improving your score
- Creating better emotional control
- Understanding Rhythm and Tempo
- Recognize and create correct muscular tension for optimum consistency
“It is my honor to write this recommendation letter for Sang Hwang, my Assistant Golf Professional, at BallenIsles Country Club. Sang is what I would consider an “unsung hero” in the junior golf world. I have spent the past year assessing the current status of our golf programs in order to take us from being good to outstanding and award winning. One area that was already excellent was our junior golf program and its instructors. Sang is our junior golf leader and is very well respected by our membership for what he does for beginner, immediate, and advanced juniors. His positive attitude, smile, and big heart are what make the juniors want to be around Sang all of the time. Sang has created beginner junior golfers, into nationally ranked golfers who have received college scholarships as a result of being coached by Sang. There is one event that has really elevated Sang’s status in the junior golf world. This summer, I sat down with Sang and the other golf professionals in order to brainstorm ways that we could grow the game and give back to juniors. We came up with what we called the BallenIsles Junior Cup. In six quick weeks, Sang utilized his personal contacts that he coached and put together 24 local elite junior players to play in a two-day Ryder Cup style format event. We were able to receive a full sponsorship by Cleveland Golf in which all participants received a golf bag, shirts, hats, golf balls, back pack, and Cleveland 588 wedge complimentary! The event quickly became nationally recognized in magazines, local TV programs, You Tube, and the BallenIsles Junior Cup photo was event shown in New York City on one of the largest flat screen TV’s in the world! We could not have pulled off this event without Sang!”
– Brian Kelley, PGA
“I take great pleasure in highly recommending Sang as a wonderful ambassador for golf to the many youngsters he has taught and mentored during the 10+ years I have known him. He has organized and managed a very successful, comprehensive junior golf program at my club, BallenIsles Country Club, and it is one of the most popular activities here for children and grandchildren of the membership. The program accommodates children of all ages and levels of experience. Their lessons, clinics and the tournaments he organizes cover not only the skills necessary to play the game of golf but also emphasize proper golf etiquette and safety, respect for the game and care of the golf course. He is very experienced in the use of computer and video equipment when appropriate to use. Sang’s approach to teaching golf skills to youngsters is quite successful as evidenced by the results I have observed. My two grandsons began lessons with Sang at ages four and five respectively, and they have both developed golf abilities much beyond what I would have initially anticipated. Most important is the fact that Sang makes their lessons and clinics fun and enjoyable. I have witnessed the same when Sang has interacted with and taught other children and their parents and grandparents with whom I have spoken have nothing but the best to say about him. I have also observed Sang with older children, and his approach with them is, of course, at a more mature level. Some of them have progressed to the extent that careers in golf would seem quite likely. It is my opinion that you could not select a finer teaching instructor.”
– Vaughn Cohan, M.D.
“I would like to personally thank you again for the opportunity to come and play in the Junior Cup. I loved my experience and the atmosphere there. Definitely a memory I will not forget. Also I would love to come down sometime this week and get videoed by you and have you evaluate my game if you are still willing!”
– Richard Donegan
Richard Donegan recently became the 2011 Florida High School Golf Champion! Richard shot a 3-under-par 69 at the Mission Inn Resort & Club on Wednesday, November 3, 2011. He finished even-par 144 at the two-day tournament.
Head Golf Professional • (540) 318-6284 • Email
Improve your golf game at Bull Run Golf Club with Certified Raspberry Golf Academy Coach Tim Ganse!
"It is imperative that you learn the whole game of golf and not just the golf swing if you really want to lower your score."
Tim’s Philosophy: I want to provide an environment where a student can be comfortable and learn to the best of their abilities. It is important to develop a game plan together based on the student's goals and objectives that will increase confidence and accelerate the learning process. Everyone is built in different shapes and sizes. A player should swing a club the way his/her body type was meant to swing it. We can make that happen.
• 15 Years of Teaching Experience
• 6 Years – Certified Raspberry Golf Academy Coach
• 1 Year - Teaching Professional - Woody's Golf Range
• 7 Years - Assistant Golf Professional, Winchester Country Club
About PGA Tour Pros: "I love watching them play golf. They always make me want to grab my clubs and go play."
Golf Influences: Tommy Wine PGA, Patrick McGuire, Rick Miller PGA, Scott Causby, Woody Fitzhugh PGA “Hall of Fame”
- Mike Adams, T.J. Tomasii, Ph.D., Jim Suttie - "The Laws of the Golf Swing"
- David Leadbetter - "The Golf Swing"
- Gary Wiren - "PGA Teaching Manual"
- 5th - 2010 Poolesville Pro-Am
- T5 - 2010 Hall of Fame Pro-Am
- 10th - 2010 Apple Blossom Pro-Am
- 12th - 2010 MAPGA Charity Pro-Am
- Low Round Tournamenet - 70
- Low Round - 66
- Double Eagles - 1
Golf Training & Skills:
- PGA Professional Golf Management Program
- V-1 Video Analysis
- Vector Pro-Launch and Accusport Launch Monitors
- PING N-Flight Fitting Software
- Certified PING Club Fitter, 2010
- Certified Titleist/Cobra Club Fitter, 2009
- Titleist/Cobra Fitting Seminar, 2008
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certified, 2007
- USGA/PGA Rules Workshop, 2006
- VSGA Rules of Golf Study, 2006-2007
Juniors 13 & under
Staff Instructor • (571) 235-8612 • Email
Philosophy: I believe people play golf for fun. Fun for you may be making a run at your club or state championship or it may be hanging with friends on a Sunday afternoon. There are about as many reasons for taking golf lessons as there are different types of swings. I will take into consideration your motivation for seeking lessons as well your body’s capabilities when developing your instructional plan.
- 27-Years Playing Golf/13 Years in Golf Business
- Assistant Golf Professional, Shenandoah Valley Golf Club
- Assistant Golf Professional, Raspberry Falls Golf and Hunt Club
- Head Golf Professional, Old Hickory Golf Club
- All the PGA professionals that I’ve had the pleasure to work with that always encouraged me to reach my potential.
- Harvey Pennick – The little red and Green Book.
- Gary Wiren – PGA Teaching Manual
Achievements & Training:
- Elected to PGA Membership 2008
- Certified Titleist Club Fitter
- President, MAPGA Assistant Professional Association
- Qualified for 2 Independence (Ryder) Cup teams for MAPGA-APA, Elected to 3
Woo Soo Park
Staff Instructor • (540) 850-9745 • Email
BIO: I am a graduate of Ferris State University in Big Rapids, MI from the PGA Golf Management Program. I am a proud Member of the PGA. I have been a golf instructor since 2013 and have been fascinated with the golf swing since I started playing at 12 years old. As an instructor, my goal is to make the game of golf more enjoyable. My lowest tournament round is 68. I strive to be an accomplished player in the Mid-Atlantic PGA Section as well as a top instructor.
Adult Private Instruction
One Hour Lesson $110
30 Minute Lesson $65
Lesson Series of 3 $300
Lesson Series of 5 $450
Lesson Series of 10 $800
Junior Golf Instruction (Under 18)
One Hour Lesson $75
Lesson Series of 5 $325
9-Hole Playing Lesson $200